It’s important to make sure you sit on the toilet properly and don’t rush when you’re having a wee. The best way to empty your bladder properly is to relax when you’re sitting on the toilet. This helps the tap-like muscle (the sphincter) at the bottom of your bladder to open fully to let all the wee out.
Boys don’t have to stand up to wee. Many boys actually find it easier to empty their bladders fully if they’re sitting down (try to sit down for some wees each day).
Here are some tips:
- Sit properly on the toilet seat and don’t hover! If you’re worried about sitting on public toilet seats, cover the seat with toilet paper.
- Hovering over the toilet seat will make your pelvic floor very tense. You may have to push hard when you’re having a wee and your bladder may not empty properly.
- Relax when you’re sitting on the toilet and make sure your feet are flat on the floor (or on a stool). Your knees should be level with (or slightly higher than) your hips.
- Don’t squeeze your thighs together – leave them in a relaxed position.
- Relax your tummy and sit up straight.
- Don’t rush!